5.08.2013

Our Hospital Stay

Hudson did so great through the night. He consistently ate every three hours and is such a good little eater! Breastfeeding him was very important to me and so far, so good! My two good friends Brooke and Kristin were my nurses that first night and they were a godsend! They talked me into sending him into the nursery between feeds so that Nick and I could sleep and oh baby it was nice. I still woke up a ton and tossed and turned but it was nice not to have to worry about my little guy being taken care of. Finally at 7:30 I got up, got changed and ready for the day, and walked to the nursery to pick him up. 

I have to say, my recovery from delivery has been seriously amazing. Such a huge blessing! No swelling, minimal bleeding and cramping, a baby that hardly fusses and breastfeeds like a champ? What more could I ask for?

Nick and I decided to have Tuesday be the day for visitors. We had a lot of friends and family that were dying to meet him so we decided to pack our schedules full and let everyone come over to meet our little man. 

The first visitor of the day was my mom. She came before she had to get to work. She even helped out a little and changed a poopy diaper! Turns out she changed a dirty diaper even before Nick had to! He lucked out. There's a WHOLE lot more where that came from though! 




Our next visitor to come by was Nick's Dad. He had to get to work as well and he hadn't met little Hudson yet. He kept telling us what a good job we did. I had to agree. Hudson is the first grandson to carry on the Chadwick family name. Kinda fun!


During a gap in visitors I filled out the application for the birth certificate. So crazy to really give MY son and identity. Pretty proud moment for me.


Nick ended up changing a very full diaper early on in the day. He is a pro already! I guess that's what happens when your mom gets pregnant when you're 16! He's had lots of practice already! 




At around noon Scott, Sarah, and Miss Adi came over. I was so excited to introduce them to Hudson. We have been so close with them and their little family since Adi was born and I am so excited to have them just as involved in our sons life. They will definitely be known as Uncle Scott and Aunt Sarah to Hudson. 





Dad took a break in the afternoon from his work calls to come hang out too. For anyone who knows me I have a weak spot for my Dad. I just love that man so much. I can't even put into words how tender it is for me to see my Dad hold my son. He has been such an incredible Dad and I know he is going to be an even better grandpa, or Papa K as we decided to call him. 


My sweet friend Melissa came to visit with her little guy Gavin. She is the sweetest! She brought us a beautiful Willow Creek figurine that melted my heat. I put it in the window in my room and I might have teared up when I'd look over at it.


This is a visit I was so looking forward to. Jess stopped by to meet our little guy. I am so excited to spend time with her and her boys this summer. It meant to much to have her there and to see how happy she was to meet him.



Jess brought Hudson this adorable monkey blanket. I hadn't had time to buy the swaddling blankets I'd been meaning to so Jess was awesome enough to bring me a few! 


Nick took this picture and posted it asking the question "Who's more tired?". I think that question is a toss up! But check it out, I was finally able to sleep on my stomach again! Super great except for the fact that now my boobs are so full of milk that it's uncomfy to lay on my stomach now for reasons entirely different than before haha



How tiny does little Hudson look next to Nick? This is his most favorite position to be in. I think it's because he can hear our heartbeat and it's really soothing to him. Whatever the reason, Nick and I hold him like this pretty much all day long and just soak up the feeling of having him so close. 


Since being born Hudson had made some funny grunting noises which sounds super cute but can be a sign of respiratory distress and/or infection. He was only doing it intermittently but since it had been off and on since delivery the doctor wanted to run some tests. They drew some blood and took a chest x-ray. Everything turned out clear which gave me peace of mind but this little guy is just a noise maker, which does not give me peace of mind! I keep thinking that he's choking when in reality he just likes making noise. That makes for a long night of jumping up and checking on him and not letting myself get into a deep sleep but hey, this little guy is SO worth it! 


This is my Labor and Delivery nurse Diane. She was bringing another baby down to the nursery while Hudson got his labs drawn. Since we hadn't gotten a picture at delivery I told her we needed to grab one real quick! 


Just as the labs were finished up Kelly, Mollie, and Cooper came to say hi! Kelly and Nick have been friends since they were in 4th grade. I love that childhood friends now get to watch their sons grow up together. Pretty cool. 


Since Hudson was MUCH smaller than we expected all the clothes from the hospital weren't even NEAR fitting him. Sarah, being the thoughtful friend that she is, brought Hudson 2 preemie outfits so that he could be stylin' in clothes that actually fit! 


Since Savannah got her drivers license a whole 3 weeks ago she could drive herself to the hospital and see Hudson Tuesday afternoon. She sat and hung out with us for a few hours and cuddled on little man while Nick and I rested. She sure loves him. Such an awesome aunt already!



While Savannah was there my Mom and Dad came by to visit again too. We spent another hour and a half or so talking and staring at our sweet Hudson. I love having them so involved and seeing them love my son SO much.

On Tuesday night I talked Nick into heading home to sleep. The hospital had a couch that turned into a bed but poor guy is so tall he barely fit it, not to mention it's comfort level is significantly less than our memory foam mattress. He left around midnight and oh it was rough. He probably hadn't even hit the elevator before this big bawl baby started to cry. It hit me being alone in this hospital bed that we were going to be without him in a week. My heart breaks just thinking about it. I've thought about how hard it is going to be to have him gone since we found out he was leaving but now that Hudson is here and I feel such an intense love for him I can't imagine how much it hurts Nick to leave. Sending him to the nursery for a few hours on Monday night just about killed me. Nick called me once he got home and I cried a little more to him. I know it hurts him to see me upset so I've tried not to cry a ton in front of him but this hormonal momma just couldn't hold it together. We talked for a little bit longer and then he went to bed. It was a rough time at night but it sure helped to look down and see an angel in my arm through the tears. Hudson is such a blessing to us in so many ways. 

Tuesday night was the night I really learned about Hudson's love of grunting and squeaking in his sleep. He ended up being in my arms most of the night to calm my nerves but I didn't mind one bit. I watched some baseball, some news, and just started at Hudson until I finally fell asleep around 5:30. My nurses came in around 8 to check me and I was just finishing up a feeding. After finishing and getting Hudson and I dressed they came back in to assess us and make sure everything was good to go. 



On Wednesday morning we had a few more visitors stop by in the morning before lunch. Our first one was my Mom's brother, Bernie. He surprised us and we loved it! 


A little after Uncle Bernie got there our pediatrician came in and said it was circumcision time! I don't have any pictures OF COURSE but I do have to say, our little guy handled it really well! He fussed a little with the lidocane which burns super bad but after that he was pretty content. When I wheeled him back to the room Bernie and Nick were still sitting there talking. Hudson was out sleeping so we left him in the cart while we talked for a minute. Maybe 5 minutes later Hudson let out a blood curdling scream. I told Nick I had a good feeling Hudson had just peed. Poor little guy! Hudson hadn't hardly fussed since he was born so I knew with that sound that he was definitely hurting. We hurried and got him all cleaned up and cuddled on him to make him feel better. There is going to be a lot of times Hudson is going to be grateful he isn't a girl but this my friends, is not one of them.

 A little while after Beth came by and even brought us some yummy snickerdoodles! I love how much she loves our little guy. Beth and I have always had a sisterly/friendship bond and now we get to be Mom's together. Makes me so excited. Also ... how precious is Hudson in that little outfit?! I really love it!


Like I said earlier, this is our favorite position to hold him in and he loves it just as much. This picture melts my heart. I just want to freeze time and keep him this tiny forever. He's so perfect.


Aunt Maddy came by and cuddled little Hudson too for a while. Again, notice how she's holding him. His favorite! 


Our first family picture. Don't mind my two chins and rather large hips! Even with those unfortunate features I love this picture with all my heart. I love those boys with all my heart. I can't believe how incredibly blessed I am. Nick was such an amazing rock for me through labor and throughout our hospital stay. He jumped up whenever he saw that I needed something before I could even ask. He told me over and over again how amazing I did and how proud he was of me. What girl doesn't want to hear that after giving birth. I knew that he felt that way but it meant the world to hear how grateful he was from him.


After we ate lunch on Wednesday we decided it was about time to get ready to head home. Remember when I told you the outfits I brought were nowhere near his size? Check out those pants! I'm pretty sure we could wrap those newborn pants around him twice! He still looks so handsome in them though right?





We called my mom to hold him while we got everything together then to take pictures of us as we were leaving. She jumped at the chance to hold him for a little while. Who wouldn't!?




I couldn't believe how tiny he was getting into the carseat. I mean shoot, I'd been holding him in my arms for a few days but I had no idea until we tried to buckle him in! There was no room between the shoulder strap, chest buckle, and leg buckles by the time I pulled the straps tight enough but hey, we made it work. 






And we were off! It was so surreal to load Hudson into our car and head home. Was this precious angel really ours to keep? Could we really do this? Of course we can. But seriously, such a mix of emotions. Our lives have changed from here on out. As weird as it might sound, I don't know how we ever lived without him. I feel like he completes our little family. I know sometime down the road we will feel the same way when we bring another little one into this world but for now, our little family is perfect.

0 comments: